Sunmed Holidays Inc. located in Mississauga, Ontario had its registration under the Ontario Travel Industry Act, 2002 revoked effective Fri., Oct. 29, 2021.
Sunmed Holidays Inc. operated as both a travel retailer and travel wholesaler, and primarily sold tours to the Mediterranean. This travel agency and tour operator is no longer in business.
Consumers who purchased their travel services directly from Sunmed Holidays Inc. (Ontario registered travel retailer) and who have not travelled and/or have future travel credits or an outstanding refund for travel services cancelled or recently cancelled due to the pandemic may request a claim form from TICO against the Compensation Fund.
Consumers may request a claim form by contacting TICO directly at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumers who purchased Sunmed travel services through an Ontario registered travel agency (other than Sunmed Holidays) and who have future travel credits or have not received a refund for travel services cancelled or recently cancelled due to the pandemic should contact their travel agent for information and assistance. Consumers may also request a claim form from TICO against the Compensation Fund.
For consumers who purchased Sunmed travel services from an out-of-province travel agency (such as a travel agency located and operating in the U.S.A.), unfortunately, there is no provision under Ontario Regulation 26/05 of the Travel Industry Act, 2002 for a consumer to claim on the Compensation Fund when they have purchased travel services from an out-of-province travel agency.
TICO can only recommend that you contact the travel agency you purchased the services from for further assistance.
And note that there is a legislated 6 month filing deadline for claims on the Compensation Fund. The filing deadline date is May 2, 2022.
Claimants who paid by credit card and who were charged by Sunmed Holidays for their travel services not provided, are required to do the following:
- Contact their credit card company and dispute the Sunmed Holidays charge and request a refund (credit / reversal of the charge on their account).
- If for some reason your credit card company refuses to provide you with a credit refund, you will be required to obtain a letter from the credit card company stating that a credit refund will not be provided.
- The letter from the credit card company must be submitted with your claim against the Compensation Fund.
- If you are unable to obtain a refund (chargeback) from your credit card company or obtain all the documentation required in order to substantiate your claim in a timely manner, please submit your claim form to TICO prior to the deadline date.
- Any additional documentation that is required to complete the claim can be sent to TICO when it is obtained.
For those who have any questions or who require clarification after reviewing this Closure Advisory, please feel free to contact TICO.
TICO can review your circumstances and offer guidance on whether you may have an eligible claim against the Compensation Fund, and whether your travel services are still available to be received.