Affluent travellers will pay extra for comfort, survey shows
A new survey by Opinium Research for Kensington Tours reveals the habits of some of the world’s most affluent travellers.
Using data provided by 400 adults, whose household income is above $250,000, shows that travellers in this demographic are inclined to pay extra for exclusive benefits, such as insider access to destinations, no waiting in lines, and a seamless travel experience.
Luxury travellers crave a seamless travel experience, and are willing to pay a premium for it.
Considering that two thirds (66 per cent) of luxury travellers report having felt frustrated due to waiting in too long of lines while travelling, it’s no surprise that nearly seven in 10 luxury travellers (68 per cent) report that they are willing to pay a premium for the ability to skip lines, avoid crowds, and experience private tours.
Other offerings that luxury travellers would pay a premium for include personalized, bespoke trips tailored to their wants and needs (66 per cent), one-stop planning (62 per cent), and insider access to exclusive events (56 per cent). Insider access and no waiting in lines top the list of affluent traveler priorities.
Respondents also reported that their travel experiences would be somewhat or greatly enhanced by offerings typically provided by a luxury tour operator, such as access to popular attractions with no wait times (81 per cent), privately guided tours without the crowds (78 per cent), access to exclusive, world-renowned events (74 per cent), and access to insider experiences not traditionally available to the general public (72 per cent).
Additional key takeaways
Other findings from the survey included:
- Luxury travellers take more trips, and they are longer: A significant portion of luxury travelers (38 per cent) report taking three-to-five trips annually, while 28 per cent take six-to-10 trips, and a notable 14 per cent embark on more than ten trips each year and most of them average two weeks or more (57 per cent).
- They turn to a travel professional: 72 per cent of survey participants expressed their intention to enlist the services of travel experts for their upcoming vacation planning.
- Intergenerational travel continues to remain a priority: The popularity of multi-generational travel experienced a significant boost in the wake of the pandemic and continues to thrive, with 82 per cent of those surveyed intending to increase their family travel this year.
- Been there; done that; affluent travellers want to see something new: A significant number of respondents (89 per cent) plan to explore new destinations in 2024 with Switzerland, Norway, and Portugal named as top destinations.
- Travel pain points: The most prevalent challenges and pain points include locating appropriate accommodations (41 per cent), steering clear of tourist traps (38 per cent), and coordinating activities (38 per cent).
- More space, increased privacy, and added exclusivity are in high demand: More than 50 per cent expressed interest in distinctive experiences such as luxurious villa stays featuring in-house amenities and private yacht expeditions.
“The outcomes of our recent survey confirm the trends we’ve observed among our clients, who value an effortless experience, unique insider opportunities, elite lodging, and tailor-made journey arrangements,” said Helen Giontsis, president of Kensington Tours. “With these preferences in mind and proactively meeting and exceeding our clients’ expectations, we are committed to continually developing unique offerings tailored exclusively for the luxury travel sector.”
Beyond Villas by Kensington Tours is a private villa portfolio geared towards travellers who seek the ultimate privacy in the form of a luxury villa paired with tailor-made itineraries. Kensington Yachts aims to identify the perfect vessel matched with unique land experiences, luxury transfers, hotel and villa stays, and private jet and helicopter transfers. Voyages by Kensington Tours seamlessly pairs the client’s cruise of choice with pre- and post-cruise experiences including the launch of exclusive private guided shore excursions. that are privately guided and fully customized to destinations throughout the world.
Go to https://www.kensingtontours.com for more.