The Big Island beachfront Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa offers Hawaiian cultural offerings at the new Sunset Luau. Billed as Hawaii’s “most authentic luau show at sunset,” the entertainment takes guests on a journey to Tahiti, New Zealand, Samoa and Hawaii through the songs and dances of those Pacific Island cultures, including Samoan fire knife dancing. Held every Saturday and Wednesday at the resort’s Luau Grounds, the Sunset Luau includes:
- Traditional ceremony to unearth the underground oven to reveal the Kalua Pig that will be served during dinner.
- Open bar with specialty Hawaiian cocktails and Hawaiian dinner buffet featuring traditional and contemporary dishes.
- Aloha welcome with photo.
- Hula lesson for kids.
- Hawaiian crafts and games and conch shell blowing contest.
- Polynesian music and dance performances.
General seating prices are US$88 for adults and US$40 for children six to 12 years old. Those five years old and under are free. Premier seating includes preferred first row seating, lei greeting and Hawaiian appetizer for an additional US$25 per seat. (www.sunsetluau.com)