The Intrepid Foundation, the not-for-profit arm of Intrepid Travel, has a new campaign to support the Red Cross Bushfire Emergency Appeal. Australia’s bushfires have already burned over 6 million hectares of land, taking the lives of millions of animals and over two dozen people.
The scale of the crisis is unprecedented, and as a result, Intrepid pledged to match all donations up to AU$100,000, doubling donors’ impact.
After massive support from the Intrepid community, the company increased the target to AU$200,000 since the previous goal was hit in the first few days.
To date, Intrepid has raised over $295,601 with 100% of funds going to the Red Cross.
Donations to the Disaster Recovery and Relief Fund will:
- Provide emergency grants of AU$2,000 to people who have lost homes or whose homes are uninhabitable due to a bushfire since July 2019. This will be open across Australia, with payments staarting after Jan. 6.
- Plan flexible recovery programs targeting households and communities based on the needs assessments.
- Facilitate and provide support at community events. Facilitate disaster recovery support groups to help people work through trauma.
- Coordinate with and provide expert advice to community leaders and local services.
- Assist more households and communities to prepare for bushfires and other disasters.
“Our hearts go out to all of those impacted by this national crisis and we are compelled to do what we can to support the efforts of the Red Cross on the ground,” says James Thornton, CEO of Intrepid Travel. “Like the rest of the country, Intrepid stands in solidarity with communities who are being directly affected and we encourage people to donate to the fund so their dollars are matched by us.” Intrepid Travel, headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, will be continuing their appeal and are encouraging the travel industry to help support.
For donation information visit https://www.theintrepidfoundation.org/australian-bushfire-appeal.