Porter Airlines is delaying its return-to-service date to Oct. 7. Previously, the carrier said it would return-to-service on Aug. 31.
Key factors that Porter cited as affecting its ability to restart service include the Canada-U.S. border remaining closed to non-essential travel until at least Aug. 21; the Atlantic Canada travel bubble that restricts movement beyond the region; non-essential travel advisories issued by governments; and mandatory quarantine rules.
In making the announcement, Michael Deluce, president and CEO, Porter Airlines, said: “We never intended to suspend operations for such an extended period of time. Unfortunately, the layers of travel restrictions are serving to keep most people at home and show no signs of easing. We will continue making decisions based on how the situation evolves.”
As a result, Porter is waiving change and cancellation fees on all fares booked through Oct. 7, including Porter Escapes vacation packages.
The airline temporarily suspended operations as of March 21, due to COVID-19.
Go to wwww.flyporter.com for more.