After receiving more than 130 entries, TIAC and its panel of judges have announced the finalists in the annual Canadian Tourism Awards, recognizing those who go above and beyond to offer superior tourism experiences in Canada.
The awards will be presented at a dinner ceremony at the Hilton Hotel Lac Leamy in Gatineau on Nov. 30.
2016 Canadian Tourism Awards Finalists:
- The Air Canada Business of the Year Award: Brentwood Bay Resort and Spa, Victoria, BC; Vancouver International Airport, Richmond, BC; Watermark Beach Resort, Osoyoos, BC.
- The Via Rail Canada Community Outreach Award: Great Wolf Lodge, Niagara Falls, Ont.; Tourism Toronto, Toronto; The Westin, Ottawa, Ottawa.
- The Metro Toronto Convention Centre Event of the Year Award: Canadian Soccer Association, FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 – National; Folklorama, Winnipeg; Oliver Osoyoos Winery Association: Half Corked Marathon, Oliver, BC.
- The Visa Innovator of the Year Award: Assiniboine Park Conservancy, Winnipeg; Headwaters Parade of Horses, Mono, Ont.; Société de développement du Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook, Coaticook, Que.
- The Fairmont Marketing Campaign of the Year Award: “Crayons” Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism, St. John’s, Nfld.; “Where Am I?” Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation, Toronto; “Where Ontario Gets Real” Headwaters Tourism, Mono, Ont.
- The National Aboriginal (Indigenous) Cultural Tourism Award: Eskasoni Cultural Journeys, Eskasoni, NS; Long Ago People’s Place, Champagne Landing, YT; Wanuskewin Heritage Park, Saskatoon.
- The Parks Canada National Cultural Tourism Award: Celtic Heart of North America, Cape Breton, NS; Cité Mémoire, Montreal; Fort William Historical Park, Thunder Bay, Ont.
- The Hilton Worldwide Small- or Medium-Sized Business of the Year Award: Experience PEI, Stratford, PEI; Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Centre, Oak Hammock Marsh, Man.; Ocean River Sports & Adventure, Victoria, BC.
- The WestJet Social Media/Digital Marketing Initiative of the Year Award: “Old Québec” section by Québec City Tourism, Québec, Que.; “Paint the Town” contest by Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John’s, Nfld.; “The Trump Bump” Destination Cape Breton, Sydney, NS.
- The Transat Sustainable Tourism Award: Churchill Wild, Ile des Chenes, Man.; Eagle Wing Tours Ltd., Victoria, BC; Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre, Vancouver.
- The Tourism Employee of the Year Award: Dan Cardinal, Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon Hotel, Saskatoon; Jose Reineking, Banff and Lake Louise Tourism, Field, BC (Banff, AB); Maria De Vera, Campus Tower Suite Hotel, Edmonton.
- The Culinary Tourism Experience Award: Alberta Culinary Tourism Alliance, Calgary; Calgary Food Tours, Calgary; Ontario Culinary Tourism Alliance, Toronto.
- The Brewster Travel Canada Adventure/Outdoors Award: Churchill Wild, Ile des Chenes, Man.; Northern Edge Algonquin, South River, Ont.; Wilderness Tours, Foresters Falls, Ont.