Ontario is making testing mandatory for all incoming international travellers, implementing six-point plan to battle COVID-19 variants.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford unveiled the plan following Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s announcement of strict new measures that will essentially shutdown the country’s travel industry until the end of April.
Premier Ford said: “We welcome the new measures announced by the federal government today, but we need a stop gap to prevent new cases, including variant cases, from arriving in Ontario until those measures are fully in place.”
And the...
Following Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s COVID-19 briefing today, the WestJet Group confirmed that it is temporarily ceasing international flying to 14 sun destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean in response to a request from the Canadian government.
WestJet’s president and CEO, Ed Sims said: “The government asked, and we agreed. While we know that air travel is responsible for less than two per cent of cases since the start of the crisis, and even less today, we recognize the Government of Canada’s ask is a precautionary measure.”
Sims continued: “We also note that...
It has not been a good day for the Canadian travel industry and even though the industry could see it coming – certainly Transat’s announcement earlier this week that it was suspending its sun operation to the end of April signalled the significant new travel restrictions.
The day began with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announcing that Canada’s four major airlines – Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing and Transat – are “stepping up” and have agreed to suspend service to sun destinations immediately. (see below for advisories from WestJet and Air Canada)
The service...
The National Airlines Council of Canada (NACC) is calling on the federal government to take immediate action and provide financial support to airlines, as well as work with the sector to develop an aviation recovery strategy.
The call from NACC follows the federal government’s announcement of new measures to reduce air travel and the agreement of Canada’s four major airlines to suspend service to sun destinations until the end of April.
Mike McNaney, president and CEO of the National Airlines Council of Canada, said that: “We recognize the statements made by the government...
In a statement issued following Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s announcement on Jan. 29, Sunwing said that: “Further to the Government of Canada’s announcement this morning (Jan. 29), Sunwing, along with all other major Canadian airlines and tour operators, has made the decision to suspend flights to all sun destinations until April 30, 2021.”
The company indicated that: “This decision was not made lightly but something we deemed necessary as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and is based on ongoing collaboration with the government and the Canadian aviation...
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced this morning that Canada’s four major airlines – Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing and Transat – are “stepping up” and have agreed to suspend service to sun destinations immediately.
The suspension covers the period of Jan. 31 to April 30.
The Prime Minister also confirmed that there will be additional measures implemented that will include an additional compulsory COVID-19 PCR test for passengers arriving in Canada and they will be required to wait for those test results for a minimum of three days in Health Canada-approved...
Citing the continued travel restrictions and the numerous measures imposed by the federal government -- including the requirement to present a negative COVID-19 test and to quarantine upon return to Canada – Transat said it is suspending all flights out of Toronto for the remainder of the winter season (Jan. 28 to April 30, 2021).
The company said that the restrictions have had “a significant impact on our bookings, and as a result, “we must, therefore, revise our winter flight schedule, as we have been doing since the beginning of the pandemic, based on the evolution of the...
As the federal and provincial governments in Canada continue to look at new travel restrictions designed to keep Canadians at home, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced that UK Nationals and residents returning from COVID-19 hotspots – including South Africa, Portugal and South American destinations -- would be required to quarantine in hotels provided by the government.
However, it will take some time for the new quarantine measures to come into effect, as the Prime Minister indicated that the accommodations still have to be made ready and that the department of health...
IATA is calling on governments to partner with the air transport industry to devise plans to safely re-link people, business and economies when the COVID-19 epidemiological situation permits.
The industry association indicated that a priority for this critical cooperation is acceleration of the establishment of global standards for vaccination and testing certification.
Alexandre de Juniac, IATA’s director general and CEO, said that: “We can see the light at the end of the tunnel as vaccination programs roll out. Turning this vision into a safe and orderly re-start will require...
The EU says that it’s preparing new temporary rules to help air carriers cope with the drastic decline in air traffic caused by the Coronavirus crisis and avoid operating empty flights.
Ambassadors of member states have now agreed on a negotiating mandate for granting airlines relief from airport slot use requirements for summer 2021, while taking initial measures to start relaunching the industry and encourage competition.
The new rules will also give flexibility to adapt to different scenarios and allow for measures to be taken up to the summer 2022 scheduling...